Hello, readers! Although we are no longer posting new items on our blog, we are keeping it available so you can browse through our past posts. Thanks for visiting!

Mar 26, 2011

{Wooden HOME Decor}

All throughout our childhood, our mom had these little wooden houses set on a shelf as part of our home decor.
They originally had stenciled-on letters that spelled out
W E L C O M E
and I have always loved them.

They were painted in different shades of blues and pinks and mauve.
Definitely 1980's style colors, but still super cute.

When they showed up in of our garage sale boxes a few years ago, something told me to keep them.
I just knew there was a way to transform them into awesomeness!

Little wooden house shapes?  Too cute!
They had to stay in the family.


I took 4 of the best shaped blocks and got to work.

First, I found some block letter stickers and applied them to each block, spelling out H O M E:


I then painted a thin layer of acrylic paint over the top.
I used my favorite light turquoise paint color that I found at WalMart -- it's called CLOUDLESS:


Once the paint was dry, I inked all of the edges with brown distress ink:


Then I carefully peeled the stickers off to reveal the wood underneath.
I love how each block has its own natural wood colors and grain!


Isn't that a great improvement?
It took about 10 minutes, tops.... and that includes drying time.

You could do this with any small wooden cut outs you might have.  I think any shape would be cute.  I'm definitely loving my HOME houses!

I added small pieces of the command velcro strips to the back of each house so I could hang them on the wall, above my cork board:


..and they love living there.

:)

Stay tuned later this week to see more info on that darling stuffed
strawberry garland!
(soon to be in the Peppermint Plum Etsy shop as well)

-Annie

*Click HERE to see all the lovely linky parties we participate in!*



Pin It

14 comments:

Unknown said...

So cute! I love that it also has a story behind it. Stopping by from the Weekend Wrap Up

Ali Richardson said...

SO adorable! What a great transformation :)

Amanda said...

These are wonderful, they are so cute, and it's lovely that they were your mums and now yours!

Megan said...

so cute. I love that eighties color scheme. brings back a lot of memories.

Was every color in the eighties preceded by the word "dusty"? Dusty blue, dusty pink, dusty green...

megan
craftycpa.blogspot.com

Tanya said...

That turned out so cute! Can't wait to see the Strawberry Garland =)

Stephanie said...

LOVE IT!!!!

Anonymous said...

Those really are adorable, and love the sentiment that went with refinishing your mom's items. :-) Thanks for linking up!

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

Thanks for linking to Creative Juice Thursday! Hope to see you back this week {party opens at 8pm CST on Wed. night}

Jayna Rae said...

Love the little sign. They are reminiscent of my childhood too. You have forced me to become a follower so that I can come back and see the awesomeness of that strawberry garland without forgetting. You are awesome though, so it is well worth it.

Maggie Elizabeth said...

I love the way those turned out!! My mom used to have some of those!! I may have to see if she still has them!

Jena @ Involving Color and Home said...

These are so cute! I love the color you painted them. So glad I came across your blog. I'm a new follower.

Krystal said...

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I featured this on my blog today if you'd like to check it out. Sassy Sanctuary Such a cute idea!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

I just featured this on my blog today:

http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/2011/04/wednesdays-wowzers-relax.html

Thanks for inspiring--this is amazing!

~Alison

Jenn Erickson said...

Your updated version is so artful, creative and beautiful! Well done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...