Hello, readers! Although we are no longer posting new items on our blog, we are keeping it available so you can browse through our past posts. Thanks for visiting!

Feb 9, 2011

{RUBIE - My Rubiks Cube Valentine Box}


Good day, everyone!

I'd like to introduce you to my newly made, *SQUEEEE*-inducing Valentine box, Rubie.

Oh, yeah.  She IS that cute.

I may not have kids, but there is a big one living inside of me that just screams to come out sometimes.  All the time, really.  Luckily, I work somewhere awesome where the whole department still holds Valentine box contests!

You can make a RUBIE with the following supplies:

* 10"x10"x10" square cardboard box
* Craft foam sheets in the following colors:
red, orange, yellow, green
blue, pink, white + black
* Hot glue gun
* Packing tape
*Scissors
*Pen

Tape up the box so it will securely hold its shape.
Then cut a whole in the top so the Valentines can slip right in.
Next, cut all of the foam sheets (except the black and pink ones) into 3" x 3" squares.
Hot glue the black foam sheets to each side and top of the box and trim to fit.  I left the bottom uncovered.
Then arrange the colored squares as you see fit! 
 It's best to keep it looking similar to how a real Rubiks cube would look, because after all, there IS a pattern to the madness.
Once all the squares are glued on, make any kind of eyes and mouth you like.

If your Rubie box is also a girl, don't forget to make a nice, big bow to place on her head!  If your Rubie is a boy, you could do a bow-tie instead.
That's it! 

I was able to make Rubie in about 2 hours total.  Hot glue and easy-to-cut foam sheets make it super quick!  It wasn't, however, as cost-saving as I was hoping it would be.  I did have to buy the square box itself and each foam sheet was .99 cents.  I spent about $13 total.

I'm glad I didn't skimp though, because cute little RUBIE is now a part of our clan.

If you make a Rubie for yourself, PLEASE link up a picture in the comments!  I would LOVE to see it.

-Annie

*Please click HERE to see the lovely linky parties we participate in!*

Pin It

6 comments:

Krafty Kat said...

Oh, that is soooo cute!

nikkijoy said...

This made my day!! Too adorable for words =)

SmileMonsters said...

This is so cute! I'd love for you to come share at Fun For Kids Friday!

http://smilemonsters.blogspot.com/2011/02/fun-for-kids-friday_10.html

It's perfect!

Jo @ SmileMonsters

Krafty Kat said...

So glad you linked this up- it's just too cute not to share! I shared a link on Twitter as well!

Elle Belles Bows said...

Way too cute! Made me smile! Kerri

Andrea Mirro said...

Hi, I just finished my own mini Rubie! I found yours on pinterest & it was so cute, I had to make one myself. I work at a pediatrician's office & we're having a Valentine box contest... Wish me luck! Thanks for the inspiration!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...