Hello, readers! Although we are no longer posting new items on our blog, we are keeping it available so you can browse through our past posts. Thanks for visiting!

Feb 7, 2011

{Homemade Slime}

 Looking for a fun project to make with your kiddos?
You can make your own... 


I remember when Annie and I were little we would BEG for a quarter to buy a little plastic egg filled with slime from the machines at the grocery store. I'm not sure what our obsession was with the stuff...we were girly girls, and we had no brothers to taunt us with gross boy antics.

Maybe it was because we couldn't believe that something so gross-looking and resembling what came out of our noses...could actually be a toy?!

Or maybe it was because we grew up in the 80s....and had our lives forever changed by
this guy?


Not sure.
Well...my kids recently had school canceled for two days because it was too cold (crazy, huh?), so we needed some fun activities to do while we waited for the temps to come back up.
The slime was a hit.
I guess kids and slime just go together, whatever the reason.


You'll need:
Borax
White Glue
Food Coloring
Water
3 small mixing bowls

Add 1 Tbsp. of Borax powder to 1 cup of water, and stir until completely dissolved. In another bowl, mix 4 oz of glue with 4 oz of water (1/2 cup of each), and a few drops of food coloring. Stir until smooth. In a third bowl, add 1/4 cup of the borax mixture with 1/4 cup of the glue mixture. The slime will instantly form as you stir it a few times. Let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes, and if any excess liquid has separated, pour it out into the sink. Stir up the slime again and it is ready to go!
Make additional batches with other colors.
You should have enough to make 4 small batches with this recipe.
Store in ziploc bags in the fridge.

A few things to note:
  • You will find Borax in the laundry detergent aisle at the grocery store.
  • I used the cheap white glue from the dollar store.
  • This slime will stain clothing or furniture if left sitting on them, and I can imagine that it would ruin carpet...so I'm not about to let my kids run wild with this stuff...they are currently playing with it at the table, and I think we'll keep it that way! 
"He slimed me!"

--Tammy

Pin It

6 comments:

Tanya said...

I did this for a kids recreation class before and it was a huge hit!! I still need to do it with my boys...they'll love it :) Thanks for the reminder! Such a fun project.

Tanya said...

My boys love slime (hubby too!). Something else to try: if you use clear glue, it makes a really neat translucent slime...I have some pix on my blog if you're interested.

http://sewmanydreams.blogspot.com/2010/09/kcwc-days-45-6-7.html

Kara @ Mine for the Making said...

SO cool! Sharing the link to this post at Mine for the Making on Facebook :)

Kara

Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things} said...

Hey! I wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! Let me know if you accept it! :)
You can find out more here

Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things}

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

Awesome!! This was always a HUGE hit when I taught in the classroom, now I keep a box of Borax at home to make our own batches ; ) Love the different colors we always just made green but now I want to make a slime rainbow !!! fun!

The Treasurista said...

My kids will love this! Just wanted to tell you I gave you the stylish blogger award...if you want to participate, copy/paste the award into your blog and have some fun. No biggie if not though, it's all for fun!

xoxo
L @ The Treasurista

http://thetreasurista.blogspot.com/2011/02/award.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...