Hello, readers! Although we are no longer posting new items on our blog, we are keeping it available so you can browse through our past posts. Thanks for visiting!

May 8, 2012

{Strawberry Cake}...perfect for Mother's Day!


We have a yummy place here in Denver called NoNo's Cafe...a New Orleans-syle restaurant that happens to serve the BEST cake in the world. It's strawberry cake, and it's delicious. Last time I ate it I realized that I need to figure out how to make it myself. I tried out a few recipes, combined a couple of them, tweaked it a bit and I think I've come up with a strawberry cake that is equally delicious!  

{Strawberry Cake}
adapted from this recipe

1 box strawberry cake mix*
1 can strawberry nectar**
3 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Filling:
strawberry jam (seedless)

Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
8 oz cream cheese
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla
(this recipe makes more frosting than you need...I usually freeze the extra to use on brownies or cookies later, but you can scale it down if you want to)

Top with fresh strawberries, sliced.


*Pilsbury brand tastes best!
**usually found in the Hispanic food section of big grocery chains (I find mine at Albertson's). If you can't find it,  any strawberry juice would work!


Preheat oven to 350*.
Grease and flour three 8- or 9-inch cake pans (I only have two, so I use a smaller metal bowl for the top layer).


 Combine cake mix, nectar, eggs, and oil in large bowl. Beat with a hand mixer for 2 minutes, or until well blended. Divide batter between prepared pans. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick into center comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans on cooling racks for 20 minutes. Invert cakes onto cooling rack and cool completely.


 Spread some strawberry jam (I never measure) on the top of one of the cakes. Place another cake on top, and repeat.


 Frost entire cake with the cream cheese frosting, and top with sliced fresh strawberries.

Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
(Please take my advice on this...the frosting needs to stay cold to hold the cake together! Ask me how I learned this.)

Enjoy!

--Tammy

*Please check out our Linky Parties page or our side column to see the linky parties we participate in*

 


Pin It

3 comments:

Alyce Kit and Clowder said...

I am getting so hungry just looking at this! It looks amazing...will definitely have to try it out :)

Ladies Holiday said...

so pretty!

Unknown said...

Just found your cute blog with this delicious cake recipe! 3 layers of Heavenly Goodness! We would love to have you join us anytime to our Strut Your Stuff Saturday at sixsistersstuff.com and share this yummy recipe! -The Six Sisters

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...